- Home /
- Playaway - Help & Support
Help & Support
Playaway and Playaway View are meant to be simple. That's why we've put together this Help and Support center—resources that make the whole Playaway experience as seamless as possible—all in one place.
How To Play
Playaway How-To Video
Bring the simplicity of Playaway All-in-One Audiobooks to life for your staff and patrons with this how-to video!
Playaway View Demo
- Download the Playaway View How-To-Play Demo (zipped swf)
Playaway View® is powered with an internal lithium ion rechargeable battery. We recommend that you fully charge the player before using (approximately 4 hours or until the charging symbol disappears from the battery icon). One full charge should provide up to 8 hours of continuous play time.
When 10% of the battery life remains, the battery icon will begin flashing in the corner of the screen while in play mode. Please charge immediately to avoid losing power. When the charge is critically low, a large battery icon will flash on the screen and power down.
Note: The battery cannot be accessed or taken out of the player. Read more safety information here.
- How big is a Playaway and how much content can it hold?
- Playaway is about half the size of a deck of cards and will hold the audio for an entire book, up to 60 hours of playtime.
- What does the audio sound like on a Playaway?
- Playaway is pre-loaded with high-definition audio. This audio quality is unsurpassed by any other format today. This is made possible by proprietary audio processing, production and leading edge codecs.
- Why can't I add, delete or transfer content on or from Playaway?
- In order to protect the copyrighted works of authors and publishers, you are unable to make copies of Playaway. But you can share them with friends just like you would lend your new bestseller.
- How does Playaway compare to audio on cassette or CD?
- Playaway is more convenient and easier to enjoy than juggling multiple CDs, cassettes or a separate player. Playaway allows the listener to control the speed of the narrator’s voice and automatically bookmarks the last place they left off after powering down.
- How does Playaway compare to digital downloads?
- Playaway is the best way to listen, unplugged and uninterrupted. Playaway comes pre-loaded with great digital content, so it does not require information transfer fees, subscriptions, memberships, or even an Internet connection. Just plug-in your headphones and listen wherever you go.
- What headphones work with Playaway?
- Playaway was designed with a universal audio jack to work with almost any type of audio accessory such as headphones, speakers or car adaptors.
- Can I use Playaway in a car?
- Yes. Playaway was specifically designed to use with most commonly available cassette adaptors, FM transmitters and auxiliary cables.
- Where can I get basic information on how to use Playaway?
- Check out the How-to-Play section of our website at Help & Support for more detailed information on using Playaway.
- How do I change the battery?
- Locate the battery door at the wide base of the unit. Look for the notch holding the door in place. Using your thumb, push up and away on the notch to open the battery door. Add or change the battery and snap the battery door back into place.
- How long does one AAA battery last?
- Every Playaway comes with a standard Energizer AAA battery, which provides an average of 30 hours of playtime. Rechargeable batteries are also compatible with Playaway; playtime will depend on the brand.
- How do I know how much battery life is left?
- A small battery icon is displayed on the LCD screen. There are four levels of battery life, each represented with a bar. The lowest level, one bar, indicates that 20% of battery life remains.
- How do I use a lanyard with Playaway?
- Locate the lanyard attachment area at the narrow top of the player. To attach the lanyard, simply thread and loop the lanyard into the indentation.
- Is there a quick way to reset Playaway to the beginning?
- Whiled PAUSED, press SPD + << together, then quickly press PLAY/PAUSE. The unit will turn off and start at the beginning when turned on again.
- Can I lock/unlock Playaway?
- While in PLAY, quickly click Power button once.
- What information appears on the LCD screen?
- The screen displays battery life, a progress bar, chapter position, mode and other helpful status indicators.
- If I'm having issues using Playaway, what should I do?
- First, we recommend you check out our full FAQs in our Help & Support section online at FAQs.
If you are still experiencing difficulty, please contact Customer Service at (877) 893-0808 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why won't Playaway turn on?
We recommend inserting a fresh battery (please double-check to make sure it's inserted in the right direction). Most times, this is all you need to do to get your Playaway up and running again.
Please keep in mind, most Playaway titles should take approximately 3 to 4 seconds to turn on. For a small percentage of titles that have long duration times or many chapters, start-up could take 10 to 12 seconds.
- Why is Playaway skipping chapters?
- This happens when the Shuffle play mode is activated. If your Playaway is pre-loaded with music content, the SP button enables/disables shuffle play functionality. Pressing the SP button once will enable Shuffle play mode and cause a randomization of the playback; pressing it again will disable the Shuffle play mode.
- Why is the narrator's voice so fast (or slow)?
Adjust the speed of the narration by pressing the SP button.
HD Audio Playaways have 5 options; older Playaways do not have the slow and slowest speeds.
SPD = Normal
SPD+ = Fast
SPD++ = Fastest
SPD- = Slow
SPD-- = Slowest
- Why did the display screen say REBLD or RESET before turning off?
- If this happened it simply means that your Playaway needed to reset. Please be patient upon the first power up after this occurs, as it could take 20 or 30 sections longer before start up is complete.
- What should I do if the display screen says ER00?
- If at any point you receive this message, please contact us—we’d love to replace the Playaway for you.
As always, our Customer Service team is available to help you with any additional questions and can be reached at (877) 893-0808 or email@example.com.↑ Back to Top
Playaway ViewProduct Information
- How big is Playaway View and how much content can it hold?
- Each Playaway View™ weighs only 5.4 ounces, is comparable in size to a GPS navigation device, and will hold multiple hours of video content.
- What is the video quality like on Playaway View?
- The video quality of Playaway View is comparable or better than what you would typically find on most mobile media devices featuring digital video content.
- Do I need to use headphones with Playaway View?
- Playaway View is equipped with an external speaker so headphones are not required. However, Playaway View does include a universal headphone jack, designed to work with almost any type of headphone. The choice is yours.
- What kind of battery powers Playaway View?
- Playaway View is powered by an internal lithium ion rechargeable battery that can't be accessed or taken out of the player by the end user. Learn more about safety information.
- Why can't I add, delete or transfer content on or from Playaway View?
- In order to protect the copyrighted works, you are unable to make copies of content on Playaway View.
- Where can I get basic information on how to use Playaway View?
- Check out the How-to-Play section of this website for more detailed information on using Playaway View.
- How long should it take for Playaway View to turn on and off?
After pressing the power button, it could take up to 20 seconds for Playaway View to load and display the menu screen.
The exception is when Playaway View is in standby mode, which allows you to instantly turn on the player by pressing the Power button. Standby mode is initialized every time you turn off the player (or after 2 minutes of non-use when paused or on the menu screen) and will last for 24 hours. After 24 hours, the player will fully power itself down to preserve battery life.
To turn the player off, press and hold the Power button for three seconds until the screen goes dark.
- Is there a quick way to reset Playaway View to the beginning?
- Press the Forward and Reverse buttons simultaneously while on the menu screen until the unit powers off (approximately 5 seconds). Press Power and Play to start at the beginning.
- How do I know how much battery life is left on Playaway View?
- A battery level icon will be visible on the menu screen. When approximately 10% of battery life remains, a low battery icon will begin flashing on the screen during play mode. When the player requires a charge, a low battery symbol will display on the entire screen and shutdown. For more information on the battery levels, please reference our How-to-Play.
- How do I charge Playaway View?
- Please use the AC Adaptor included with the player or another charger with a mini USB connection. This includes standard AC adaptors that are plugged into electrical outlets or travel chargers.
- How long does it take to achieve a full charge if the battery is drained?
- It should take approximately 4 hours to achieve a full battery charge. When they player is actively charging, a charging symbol will appear in the middle of a green battery icon. When the player is fully charged, the charging symbol will disappear from the battery icon.
- Can I watch Playaway View while it's charging?
- Can I lock Playaway View's buttons so my child can't alter the volume or play mode once it's playing?
By pressing the following button at the same time, Playaway View can easily be locked/unlocked.
Press Home + Volume Down:
- How can Playaway View be cleaned?
- A microfiber cloth is recommended for cleaning fingerprints. If desired, you may also use a small, damp sanitizing wipe to clean the body and screen of Playaway View.
- Why won't Playaway View turn on?
- If the Power does not turn on, you may need to charge the player. Simply use the AC Adaptor included with the player or another charger with a mini USB connection. You may also want to try rebooting the player.
- How do I reboot Playaway View?
- Insert the end of a paper clip into the hole at the bottom of the player to Reboot. Be sure not to use excessive force; instead, push only until a small 'click' is felt. Press Power to turn the player back on.
- If I’m not able to resolve my issues with Playaway View, what should I do?
- Please contact our Customer Service team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (877) 893-0808. They will be happy to help you with any questions.
↑ Back to Top
Tips & Tricks
GeneralIn Your Library
- Where can I buy Playaway?
- The complete list of titles available can be obtained by combining the Findaway World (the makers of Playaway), Recorded Books, and AudioGo catalogs. Please check out the contact us for our list of Playaway titles available internationally.
- Where can I buy Playaway View?
- Playaway View is available exclusively to libraries. Our entire catalog can be accessed our website or through several of our distribution partners. Please check out the where to buy section of our website for details.
- How can I keep my Playaway and Playaway View collections secure?
- For extra security of your Playaway collection, we offer a One-Time™ locking system that is simple-to-use and even works with most DVD and Blu-ray cases.
- Are Playaways and Playaway Views under any kind of warranty?
Yes. Learn more about our warranty and return policies.
For Playaways, please note that all Recorded Books replacements will need to be returned directly to Recorded Books by calling 1-877-732-2898 or emailing email@example.com. Additionally, AudioGO (formerly BBC Audiobooks America) titles should be returned directly to AudioGO by calling 1-800-621-0182 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For other distributors' replacement processes, please contact your sales rep directly to learn more.
For View inquiries, please contact our Customer Service team at email@example.com or (877) 893-0808. They will be happy to help you with any questions.
- Who is the company behind the product?
- Findaway World, a privately-held company based in Cleveland, Ohio, created Playaway® and Playaway View™ to provide simple and immediate access to digital content. Learn more about Findaway World.
Please note that this website was developed for a screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater. If you are having trouble viewing the site without scrolling to the right to see the entire page, you can adjust your screen resolution settings by going to the desktop of your computer, right clicking, and then clicking properties. Click the settings tab and slide the resolution over to 1024x768 or greater for optimal viewing. Additionally, we suggest using one of the following web browsers in order to fully enjoy all of the features of our website: Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher, Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari. Read more about the features of this website.
All orders placed on this website are subject to approval and that prices listed are subject to change at any time.↑ Back to Top
Warranty + Returns
We are 100% committed to our products and our customers. All Playaway and Playaway View units are shipped with a one year limited warranty. In addition, a Product Replacement Program is available for all units with expired warranties. Learn more below.
Playaway units that are less than a year old are eligible for warranty return*. Units more than a year old are covered by our Product Replacement Program. To determine if your unit is still under warranty, open the battery case and look for the colored label.
- If your Playaway has a yellow or blue label, it is still under warranty. See Warranty Return below.
- If your Playaway has a white label, it is out of warranty. See the Product Replacement Program below.
*Product warranty is not valid if damage to the Playaway® product is due to a non-manufacturing defect (See full policy for details.)
Playaway View units that are less than a year old are eligible for warranty return.* To determine if your product is under warranty, please consult your order records. If your warranty is still valid, see Warranty Return below.
Units more than a year old are covered by our Product Replacement Program. See details below.
*Product warranty is not valid if damage to the Playaway® product is due to a non-manufacturing defect (See full policy for details.)
The warranty and replacement policies for Playaway devices apply for units included in Playaway Bookpacks. Please see warranty and replacement information above.
For replacements of all other Bookpack components, please utilize the replacement form for Bookpacks noted below.
If you have determined that your unit is still under warranty, you can send it back for replacement at no cost. Please note that this applies for purchases made directly from Findaway World. If you have purchased your Playaways elsewhere, please contact your distributor for their returns process.
Product Replacement Program
You can order replacement items at a discounted price for product out of warranty, lost product, or damage due to a non-manufacturing defect. Please note that this applies for purchases made directly from Findaway World. If you have purchased your product elsewhere, please contact your distributor for their returns process.